You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Friday, January 3, 2014

Rocket Racers: The Big'uns



Here are my two new assembled HS38 Rockets by Bombshell Miniatures. I'll call them the X-3 and X-4 models (three- and four-engine, experimental.)

The conversions were very easy owing to the nice resin. I sliced off some wings, filed down some edges, drilled a couple pinning holes, and added a nose cone with some green stuff. I'll give the glue and green stuff plenty of time to cure, and will start priming tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have a couple pilots to clean up and assemble. I might also go back and add some more green stuff to smooth out that nose cone, though, I'm not unhappy with it.

I should have ordered another pilot so I could put together this nice little Scooty Puff Jr. model.

Update: I almost forgot to do one more thing to my X-4; I clipped the wings. I wanted it to have less of a "flying" look and more of a "speed" look.  And these ships are mostly supposed to be flying through space, anyway, so there's no need for wings. (And yes, the pilots aren't wearing pressure suits, but I prefer to see them in the spirit of retro scifi, when all you needed was a leather jacket and a gas mask to survive in space.)

4 comments:

  1. Great models, fantastic work on them!

    Outstanding Futurama reference too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do enjoy Futurama! In fact, the episode, "2-D Blacktop" was one of the things that inspired me to write up some modified "Charioteer" rules into a rocket racing game- which led to these models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying watching your progress on this. :)

    Anymore monochromatic Zombies any time soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any plans after these rockets (and one more samurai), so I may get back to those zombies soon enough. I hope I remember the recipes .... oh right, I posted the recipes to this blog :)

      Delete